As a time of remembrance, Memorial Day has many connotations. For children, it is often synonymous with outdoor events and splashing in swimming pools. For adults, Memorial Day may be more solemn, as we remember the men and women who died serving our country. Whether celebratory or thoughtful, here are various options for marking the day your own way.
- Host a Family Gathering: Remember those who have served by serving up some red, white, and blue-themed dishes to family and friends at a cookout or party. Hanging Americana décor, serving apple pie, and flying a U.S. flag will ensure the true meaning of the day is top of mind. You may also consider setting up a memorial table to honor military members and family members who have passed. Your tribute could display photos of your loved ones, their military uniform or badges, or perhaps wartime letters and papers to inspire guests to reminisce.
- Get Creative with Crafts: Long weekends are great for completing home projects. Painting and landscaping are popular choices for Memorial Day weekend, but you could get crafty with your home projects this year. Sentimental projects such as framing old black-and-white family photos or restoring family heirlooms are perfect ways to honor past generations. Also, the Internet is packed with patriotic crafts like wooden American flags and other wall art projects.
- Decorate a Gravesite: Originally known as “Decoration Day” in the 1800s, mourners used to decorate and bring flowers to the graves of Civil War soldiers who died in defense of their country. Consider carrying on this tradition by taking flowers to a gravesite of a family member or a fallen soldier buried at a local cemetery to show honor.
- Enjoy a Watch Party: If you’re planning a relaxed holiday at home, be sure to add The National Memorial Day Parade to your TV schedule. This huge, televised parade begins along Constitution Avenue in Washington, DC at 2 p.m.. The National Parade honors fallen soldiers from the American Revolution to today. More information, including live streaming, can be found at www.americanveteranscenter.org.
- Attend a Public Event: Numerous activities are held annually throughout the Greater Tampa Bay to both celebrate the weekend as well as to show support of our armed forces on Memorial Day. Ample details for formal ceremonies, parties, and parades can be found on local news listings and websites.
As a reminder, we live in a military-friendly area allowing us to honor our heroes throughout the year. Many local restaurants, hotels, theme parks, museums, and professional service providers offer special deals and freebies to honor those serving this great nation. Our real estate team is proud to participate in Operation Helping Hand’s monthly dinner at James A. Haley Veterans Hospital on the third Thursday of each month. We encourage others to find their special way of honoring military throughout the year.
We hope you and your family enjoy a Happy Memorial Day. Contact Dick and Karla Nielsen at 813-294-5786 for information about neighborhoods, home buying, investing, and home selling throughout Tampa and across Florida.