-6 Home Updates for Daylight Saving Time-
The clock has sprung forward, and homeowners across the Greater Tampa Bay area are adjusting their schedules and making home updates for Daylight Saving Time.
From a real estate standpoint, more daylight can be beneficial for homebuyers and home sellers to enjoy later hours for showings. Importantly, the time change can also shed a light on home updates and opportunities for Florida homeowners to make positive changes this spring.
Timely Tips for Homeowners in the Sunshine State
- Enjoy Eco-Friendly Lifestyles: With more daylight, now is a perfect time to get outdoors and cut down on electricity costs. Shut off the lights when leaving the room, turn the TV off when not watching, and unplug electronics not in use. Also, check your electricity provider’s website, such as TampaElectric.com, for more energy-saving tips.
- Optimize Natural Light: Re-arrange furniture in living spaces to decrease the need for turning on extra lights. For example, you could strategically place your reading chair near a window where the sunlight shines well into the evening hours. That could save you money in your electric bills and cut down on costs for lightbulbs.
- Find Some Shade: With the extended light shining in your windows, you may want to find alternative ways to minimize the heat. Block sunrays from entering your home by installing exterior awnings or overhangs. For first-floor windows, you may find that a simple palm or bush outside the window could be a more affordable fix for shade.
- Set the Stage for Sleep: Changes to the timing of natural light shining in your bedroom can disrupt sleep patterns, which is why now could be the time to invest in light-blocking curtains or shades. The weather is also warming up, which means updating your bedding and décor with lighter fabrics and muted color schemes could help keep you cool and relaxed for a better night’s sleep.
- Invest in Appliance Upgrades: Whether you are staying put or planning to sell your home, upgrading to energy-efficient appliances can provide a terrific return on your investment. Finding a spring sale on energy-efficient washers, dryers, refrigerators, or dishwashers could help reduce energy bills or attract homebuyers if you are selling.
- Tackle Some Home Projects: Longer days and mild temperatures offer excellent conditions for home updates. In the Tampa Bay Area, springtime could be perfect for installing a new HVAC System, replacing your windows, installing a new roof, adding more insulation, completing a renovation, or building a new home. As a bi-annual reminder, now is also an important time for checking and changing batteries in any smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
As full-service real estate professionals, we would be happy to align you with local experts to assist you with home and design projects across Hillsborough, Pinellas, and Pasco counties. We hope these seasonal tips and solutions help you maintain a safe and happy home.