-6 Tips to Breathe Easy in a Healthy Home –
Every homeowner wants to maintain clean indoor air, especially because many of us are spending more time in our Tampa Bay area homes these days. As your trusted real estate experts, we want you to breathe easy in a safe and healthy home. Consider these healthy home tips for improving air quality in your Florida home, while also boosting home value.
How to Achieve Cleaner Air in Tampa Bay Area Homes
- Ventilate and Reduce Risks: October is National Indoor Air Quality Awareness Month, which serves as an important reminder for avoiding smoking indoors and limiting the use of certain household cleaners, chemicals, sprays, solvents, paints, and pesticides. Always follow directions on labels and ensure there is proper ventilation when using chemicals. Poor air circulation can negatively affect air quality, which can lead to health issues. To limit dangerous risks, it is also wise to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home.
- Change A/C Filters: Clean A/C air filters are critical for maintaining clean air in your home and essential for keeping A/C units running efficiently. Filters are important for trapping debris and preventing particles like dust, dander, pet hair, and other allergens from circulating throughout your home. Change filters monthly or more frequently according to usage and system guidelines.
- Choose High-Quality Filters: There are many types of filters differing according to their ratings for effectiveness. Put simply, a filter with a higher MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value) will catch more particles. Filter types include disposable fiberglass filters, polyester and pleated filters, washable Electrostatic air filters, and HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) filters to trap particles and pollutants.
- Install an Air Purification System: With the respiratory effects and aerosol circulation of COVID-19, many homeowners have searched for ways to purify their indoor air. Today’s air purifying technologies can break down gases (nitrogen, carbon dioxide, etc.) to provide odor control, offer filtration for airborne particles, reduce allergens in the air, and kill viruses or bacteria. Ask our real estate team for referrals to HVAC experts specializing in home purification systems to promote healthier air and to add value to your home.
- Upgrade Systems and Appliances: Some of the best home upgrades are investments into energy-efficient appliances or new HVAC systems. In addition to potential tax write-offs on certain products meeting government standards, you could use less electricity and produce fewer pollutants and gases by using energy-efficient systems.
- Improve Your Insulation: In addition to upgrading HVAC systems or appliances, savvy homeowners can create an airtight barrier in their homes through updated ductwork, insulation, roofs, and windows. Quality insulation reduces indoor/outdoor air-loss, ensures you are circulating filtered air, and provides significant cost savings in utility bills.
It is always our pleasure to help Florida residents like you enjoy happy and healthy homes. We also love to assist in helping our customers connect with experts in all matters of the home. Contact Dick and Karla Nielsen today at 813-294-5786 for helpful information about investing, buying, and selling homes in Florida.