-10 Pain-Free Moving Tips for Homeowners-
With the summer real estate market running hot across Tampa Bay, there has never been a better time to set a pain-free moving plan.
Undoubtedly, a move requires time and planning. The entire process can be pain-free with the right planning and support for homeowners. Our real estate team is here to help you navigate the entire process. We even have a booklet with the names of service providers that have been recommended by our satisfied customers, which could be helpful – before, during, and after your move.
Here are the top ten pain-free moving tips to ensure a simple transition:
- Leverage Support: In addition to support from our real estate team, make use of online tools and guides. The USPS offers a fantastic “Movers Guide” to help you transition to a new address, such as transferring utilities and resetting subscriptions.
- Make Many Lists: Lists can help you budget for purchases and schedule to-do items. Start with a list of supplies you will need. Next, create your lists of actions to take. This may include everything from address-change lists, to packing lists, to moving-day timelines, to furniture mapping and design ideas for your new home.
- Cancel In Advance: Avoid unnecessary charges and fees by alerting service providers well in advance of your cancellation date. In addition to utilities, services may include security systems, garbage services, pest control, or lawncare services.
- Schedule Ahead of Time: Start setting up new utilities and services as early as possible. As moving day approaches, doublecheck with service providers to ensure all transition plans are on track to avoid issues or disruptions upon moving into your new home.
- Find the Right Movers: Research and schedule moving trucks far in advance of your moving date. Research moving companies and get at least three estimates for services. Contact our real estate team if you need names of reputable moving companies that our customers have recommended across Hillsborough, Pinellas, and Pasco counties.
- Stock Up on Supplies: Collect various sizes of boxes and purchase moving supplies (box cutters, markers, packing tape, labels, dollies, etc.) to prepare for a pain-free move. Due to COVID-19, we must also continue emphasizing the importance of sanitary supplies, such as hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes, gloves, and facemasks as needed.
- Color-Code for Success: Use color-coded systems for pre-labeling and organizing items for different rooms. Designate a special color (like bright red) for important items, paperwork, medication, glasses, keys, clothes, pet supplies, and other essentials that you may want to keep with you in your vehicle rather than the moving truck.
- Plan for Your Pets: Don’t forget to have a set plan for keeping your pets safe during the moving process. This includes either boarding them, finding a pet sitter, or caring for their needs during the move. You will want to ensure they have food, water, medications, bedding, toys, crates, and other items to keep them safe and comfortable.
- Keep It Clean: When packing, remember to prepare a box of cleaning supplies that will be easily accessible to you and your family on moving day for cleaning up at both your old place and new place. Don’t forget to include the vacuum as well as sanitizing wipes, disinfecting sprays, buckets, detergents, sponges, and paper towels.
- Keep Your Cool: On a summer day in Florida, you’ll want to consume at least 8 oz. of water every hour to ensure proper hydration and reduce the risk of heat-related illnesses. Dress in lightweight clothing and bring a cooler with chilled water and ice packs to ensure the process is as painless as possible on moving day.
We specialize in helping customers prepare for downsizing, selling, buying, moving between homes, and enjoying the Florida lifestyle. Contact Dick and Karla Nielsen at 813-294-5786.