-6 Ways to Support Florida Seniors this Season-
During this holiday season, there are many great ways to get involved in our Greater Tampa Bay area communities. Top of the list is providing support for a local non-profit. This year, particularly, many senior members of our communities are facing difficult times. We have compiled six ways to lend a helping hand and support Florida seniors this season.
Give Back by Supporting Non-Profits and Local Seniors
Our real estate team understands that our area is home to a high number of Florida retirees, snowbirds, and empty nesters. The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted the daily lives of many seniors across the Tampa Bay area. By making a financial donation or volunteering at a non-profit, you could help our senior communities.
- Holiday Fundraisers: Many non-profits had to reduce or cancel their annual fundraisers, activities, and other 2020 events. Small non-profits and senior resource centers, as well as large organizations like Metropolitan Ministries and The Salvation Army, need volunteers and donations. Find a cause that is close to your heart, and then show your support in whatever way you can this season.
- Food Pantries: Consider volunteering your time to serve food or drop off food at a local food pantry. Feeding Tampa Bay is one of our area’s largest food rescues. Specifically, our Carrollwood-based real estate team encourages our neighbors to support The Community Food Pantry at thecommunityfoodpantry.com/.
- Meals on Wheels: If you have a valid Florida Driver’s License and some free time, consider volunteering for a local meals-on-wheels program to help homebound seniors. Many people need this vital support to continue living independently in their Tampa Bay area homes around Hillsborough, Pinellas, and Pasco counties.
- Religious Organizations: Religious organizations in our communities consider this an important time of year for giving back. If you are not an active member of a particular church, consider checking your neighborhood church’s website or contact the church’s director for information on how a donation could help your senior community.
- Military Non-Profits: Our area is home to many veterans as well as active military members. There is no shortage of local organizations built around supporting our heroes – from the American Legion, to Veterans Hospitals, to non-profits. In addition to senior veteran organizations, our real estate team encourages locals to support Operation Helping Hand, which assists families of wounded and injured active-duty military. Learn more at operationhelpinghandtampa.com.
- Personal Support: During times like this, every little bit helps. One single act of kindness can make a big difference. Consider personally giving back to the seniors in your community by dropping off a holiday gift basket for a senior neighbor. Pack it with food and holiday treats as well as 2020 essentials like masks or cleaning supplies. If money is tight, consider volunteering your time by helping someone in need.
As real estate professionals, we uniquely specialize in helping seniors enjoy their golden years. We hope these tips help you support our senior communities in the sunshine state.
Check your local news and community calendars for other charitable opportunities around Tampa Bay. Contact Dick and Karla Nielsen today at 813-294-5786 for helpful information and advice about buying, selling, or investing in Florida’s real estate market.