-10 Tips to Survive Summer Storms in Tampa Bay-
Summer storms are a part of life around the Greater Tampa Bay area. If you have lived on the Gulf coast long enough, you develop an ability to sense a storm approaching long before there is rain on your roof. Most Floridians have plans and kits for potential hurricanes, but the savviest homeowners also take protective measures for surviving and thriving during rainy season’s daily downpours, strong winds, and lightening storms.
Ways to Keep Your Home Safe During Rainy Season
As real estate professionals, we know that homeowners find peace of mind in preparedness. Here are tips for keeping your home and hard-earned money protected during storm season:
- Know your risks and have proper insurance for your designated flood zone.
- Take a full inventory of your home with video and photos for potential insurance claims.
- Make sure fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, and flashlights are always working.
- Anchor storage sheds, bolt swing sets, and secure grills or other potential hazards.
- Limit potential windborne objects like windchimes, toys, furniture, and fragile plants.
- Have a professional trim trees and remove any limbs that could cause damage.
- Secure pool areas, manage water levels, monitor pool drains, and check pH levels.
- Install hurricane straps, storm shutters, and garage-door reinforcements.
- Consider investing in an emergency power generator for potential power outages.
- Ask us for local referrals to licensed contractors for roof or window upgrades.
Summer 2020 Hurricane Preparations
As a reminder, homeowners also need disaster kits including items such as non-perishable food, water, medications, first-aid supplies, batteries, chargers, flashlights, candles, matches, weather radios, and cash. Due to COVID-19, experts are also emphasizing the importance of adding disinfecting wipes, hand sanitizers, gloves, and protective face masks to emergency kits.
Important Resources and Government Websites
For other actions to take around your home, visit FEMA’s Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration website. For flooding information, details are available at the National Flood Insurance Program’s website at www.floodsmart.gov.
Homeowners in Hillsborough (www.hillsboroughcounty.org), Pinellas (www.pinellascounty.org), and Pasco (www.pascocountyfl.net) counties may visit local county websites for public safety resources, shelters, flood maps, and zoning information.
Our real estate team specializes in helping Floridians buy, sell, and invest in properties across the Greater Tampa Bay Area. We also enjoy connecting customers with other experts in home matters, home maintenance, and interior design. Contact Dick and Karla Nielsen at 813-294-5786 for expert advice today.