– At-Home Activities for Winter in Florida –
Winter in Florida is an amazing time to get outside without sweating to death or lathering your entire body in sunscreen. This is the time for Floridians to break out the jackets and boots; even if we don’t really need them. Wintertime weather also provides the optimal conditions to get some house and garden work completed around the Greater Tampa Bay area.
This January through March, why not get things done while having some fun at home? Here are some winter home and garden activities for Floridians:
- Room Facelift- You may enjoy a change of scenery by shuffling furniture and maybe bringing in new furniture or art pieces. In the cooler temperatures, these tasks seem a lot less like chores. On average, Tampa’s temperatures range between 50° and 70° during the winter.
- Painting- This may not win the most fun awards, but winter is a great time to paint inside your home. There is a lot less humidity in winter, so paint dries faster. Also, you can keep windows open to let out all of those paint fumes during winter in Florida.
- Outdoor Dinner Party- Winter is prime time for utilizing outdoor space in Florida, so host some friends and/or family for an outdoor dinner party. Have some cozy blankets available beside the fire pit in case the temperature drops low after sunset.
- Plant a Vegetable Garden- Floridians are lucky to be able to plant vegetable gardens in the winter. We are fortunate to enjoy fresh spinach in February. The University of Florida’s IFAS Extension has an extremely helpful section of their website dedicated to Florida vegetable gardening. You can find the link here: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/topic_vegetable_gardening
- Pruning and Garden Maintenance- In addition to vegetable gardening, winter is the perfect time to tend to perennial and annual plants. The UF Extension also provides monthly tips on what gardening we should be doing in our area. Find that calendar here: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep450#SECTION_1
- Pool Time- Yes, the water may be too cold to jump in for a swim, but you can still lounge poolside enjoying the glistening water and Florida sunshine during our milder winter days. Remember, we sometimes top 80° on warm days.
- Upgrades- The New Year is a perfect time to evaluate opportunities for some fun or necessary upgrades around your home. Less rain and more moderate temperatures provide better working environments for both interior and exterior projects, whether you invest in some smart appliances for easy living or install a new patio for outdoor lounging.
As real estate professionals, we fully support our customers in all matters of the home. Whether you need a referral for a home project, or you need assistance buying or selling a home, our team is here to help you. We hope our suggestions help you optimize the winter months.
If you’re a Florida resident needing help finding the perfect home or selling your current property, contact Dick and Karla Nielsen at Keller Williams Tampa Properties. Call 813-294-5786.