-How to Create Happy Homes with Family Pets-
National Pet Day is April 11, a time to celebrate the joy and unconditional love our pets bring to our lives. As real estate professionals and fellow pet parents, we recognize the important role our furry family members play in helping us enjoy happy homes with pets.
In fact, scientific studies show psychological and physiological benefits to bonding with a pet. Simply petting a cat or a dog can help you reduce stress and relax. Physically, you may experience lowered blood pressure for a calmer state of being, while also enjoying increased oxytocin levels, which can promote feelings of happiness.
5 Tips for Caring for Pets and Boosting Happiness at Home
Your pets bring so much joy to your home, why not boost their joy through good health? Our real estate team has compiled pet-care tips to keep your pets in a healthy state of happiness:
- Activities and Playtime: Physical activity can release endorphins and promote happiness. Cats love to sprint around the house and swat at strings. Dogs love to run and play fetch. Create open and safe spaces for exercise with plenty of toys around the home. Reduce safety risks for frisky kitties and rambunctious pups by adding non-slip tape, carpet, or a runner for traction in play areas and on stairs.
- Flea and Tick Prevention: Much like you, no pet wants fleas or ticks anywhere near them. In addition to regular veterinary visits and vaccines, flea and tick control is a critical part of your pet’s healthcare plan. Your vet may recommend pills or topical medications to reduce risks of your pet suffering from itchiness or skin infections.
- Grooming and Hygiene: Speaking of itchy skin, grooming is also important for a healthy and happy pet. Different breeds require different care for skin, coat, nails, ears, and teeth. For example, many pet’s nails need trimmed. Getting caught in a snagged rug is not fun for Kitty, and we doubt you like finding those snags either. Consult with your groomer or veterinarian for trimming, grooming, bathing, and other instructions.
- Food and Treats: Many pets are happiest when enjoying a delicious meal. Follow a predictable feeding routine to help your pet feel secure about food supply. Your vet may offer recommendations for tasty pet foods and nutritious treats to boost your pet’s happiness and health goals, such as foods to aid digestive relief, dental hygiene bones, or treats with nutrients to ease joint pain or relieve other conditions.
- Bedding and Rest: Pets need their rest just like humans. If your bed or the couch is off limits, consider setting up a special area in your home for your pet to relax and enjoy a deep sleep. Include a cooling mat, cozy blanket, or a pillow for comfort.
Consult with a veterinarian for specific instructions to care for your unique pet. As your pet-friendly real estate team, we would be happy to help you sell your property or find a perfect home to enjoy with your family pets. We may also offer suggestions or connect you with professionals to help with a variety of other home matters in the Tampa Bay area.
Contact Dick and Karla Nielsen today at 813-294-5786 for information about moving, downsizing, buying, selling, building, or investing in Florida real estate.